As your regional leader in Cardiology Services, The Heart Group is excited to announce that we now offer Watchman™. Watchman™ is a onetime implantable device that reduces the risk of stroke and the long term risk of bleeding in patients with Non-valvular Atrial Fibrillation. The Watchman™ implant acts as a barrier to keep blood clots from leaving the left atrial appendage and going into the blood stream. Once the barrier has been placed you will have to continue anticoagulation for a short period of time until your heart tissue starts growing over the barrier.
What to Expect
- Your provider will make a referral to The Heart Group, if you are already a Heart Group patient a referral will be sent to Dr. Kumbar and Watchman™ Coordinator
- The Heart Group will review your medical information to make sure that you qualify for the Watchman™ device and it is the best option treatment option for you.
- You will be evaluated by physicians from the Watchman team; including, Dr. Turner, Dr. Banuru, and Dr. P. Yelamanchili.
- This includes, scheduling an appointment with our implanting physician, Dr. Kumbar. At this visit he will review your medical information, risks regarding Atrial Fibrillation, additional risks regarding the procedure and at this time inform you of any additional testing/referrals that would need to be done prior to the procedure. Additional testing will include transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE), Lab testing, and a shared decision making visit with your Heart Group Cardiologist and an additional visit with Dr. Kumbar to review all results and questions prior to the procedure.
- In the hospital, you will be given general anesthesia before beginning the procedure. The Watchman™ device will be implanted by using a narrow tube inserted through your femoral vein. Dr. Kumbar will then maneuver the device into your heart to seal off the Left Atrial Appendage (LAA). Implanting Watchman™ will normally only take around one hour; however, patients generally stay overnight in the hospital after having the procedure. After released from the hospital, several follow up visits are required within the next year.
Ask your Physician if Watchman™ is right for you!